Thursday, January 26, 2012

Oooooops, I Did It Again!

I swore I wouldn't do it again for at least a week, or maybe two weeks.  Apparently, I have no willpower!  I went back to the mecca of re purposing today....ReStore.  I bought some things.  Bigger things.  Things I didn't go there in search of. Things that made my heart sing when I saw them!  If only the basement wasn't completely cluttered (I say this lovingly, in case my brother ever reads this!) with my brother's musical stuff.  If it weren't, I would have a huge space to spread out my treasures, to work on them all and breathe new life back into them; making them MINE, instead of someone else's castoffs.  Alas, this is not the case, so I'll have to find a spot to work on them, one at a time. (After all, I am I guest in my brother's home right now!)

As I said, these things made my heart sing when I saw them.  The ride home was a different story.  It was raining.  The chair fit into the back seat of my small car, but the cabinet would only go about 95% into my trunk.  It wouldn't close.  The ReStore man used string to try and keep the trunk lid down......unfortunately, it wasn't tied tight enough, so the trunk lid kept bouncing up and down.  All the way home (About 8 miles.) the trunk lid flew up and then banged down every time I stopped at a traffic light or went up/down a hill.  If I had to stop at 1 traffic light, I'm sure I stopped at 20. BANG BANG BANG.  Then there was the train.  A LONG train.  All the while I was stopped at that crossing, I kept thinking "OMG....it's raining on my new cabinet......that's okay, it's just like a little bath for it.  I'll be home in just a few minutes."   Once I got moving again, and got closer to home, another red light, followed by waiting for an ambulance, followed by waiting for a Dollar General semi driver to figure out that he really couldn't swing that turn like he thought he could.

I'm FINALLY home with my treasures. I know a parent shouldn't have "favorites", but I think I love today's treasures more than the first ones.  In any case, I will show them all the same love and attention so that they feel at home in their new place.

My final thoughts on today's adventure are:
  • Save trips to ReStore for less wet days.
  • Go with a bigger vehicle.  (I may need a spare key to my sister's SUV, so that I can trade vehicles with her if she's at work and I get a hankering for a trip to ReStore!)
  • Learn how to tie down objects myself.


Love the chair....love the cabinet.  there are shelves inside the cabinet.
The 3 shades on the left are a beautiful bronzey color.  The one on the right is that old timey "milk glass" look with nubs all over it.




No comments:

Post a Comment