Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My New Addiction.....As If I Need Another One!

Last week, I was my brother's "Back-up Date" for the theater.  That night changed my life.  Not because I found something profound and life-altering in the performance (Although it was good!), but because on the way there, we passed a Habitat For Humanity ReStore.  

I have always been the kind of person that gets some hair brained idea for making something out of something else.  When it hits me, there is NOTHING that can stand in my way.  I will walk through blizzards and tornadoes to get the last thing I need to make my project come to life. I will stay up all night working on these projects, or spend an entire weekend perfecting them.  I become obsessed! 

I've heard of these ReStores before, but have never visited one.  So, when we drove by it last week, I made a mental note of where it was; because I knew that I would be back......SOON! (As I made this mental note, I wiped a bit of saliva from my chin.  It had apparently escaped my mouth as it was wide open; you know, in that mindless, open-mouth daze that we never realize we're doing!)

Three days later, I was there - the DSW of re purposing!  I started off just walking around.  Within 5 minutes, I had several items in my arms and then realized that I would need a cart.  Yes, this was going to be wonderful.....orgasmic even!

I spent about an hour there, wandering the aisles over and over again.  I went there hoping to find some wooden shutters, but didn't find them.  What I did find though, was the realization that for far too long, I have let work consume all of my energy and emotion.  Over the last 5 or 6 years, I stopped getting hair brained ideas.  There was no creativity flowing from me, no project that inspired me so much that I would devote a weekend, or even a day to it. I was not me anymore.

So, in order to ReStore myself, my creativity and help Habitat for Humanity, I'm going to spend a lot of time in the ReStore shop.  I'm going to get those juices flowing again and re purpose some great stuff; some for myself and some to gift to others.  I'll be sure to post before and after pictures here, so that you can see what I've been up to.  Please share  your ideas and comments with me....I'd love to have your feedback!

Now, it's time for me to get going to Hobby Lobby and pick up a few small things to complete the re purposing on the first few pieces I bought last week!

No comments:

Post a Comment